Anyone with catch cans in cold climate? - Page 3

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with catch cans in cold climate?

I have big trouble with PCV OCC:
    at night it was cold -20C/-4F, in the morning I went on highway about 600 km, during the trip the temperature was a little warmer than the night, at the end of travel smelled strongly of burnt oil, and in the end lighted oil can, about half of the oil squeezed out through the plastic cover over the engine, the all engine has been oil, I add near 3 liters oil.
    At the service washed engine bottom, disconnect the OCC, changed the oil.
    Now all OK.

PS/we have cold in winter -30C/-22F to -40C/-40F sometime.
    2012 Juke SV AWD CVT Force Red, current mods: UpRev 15psi, Forge intercooler+charge pipe kit, Synapse Synchronic DV, Injen SRI, Doug Thorley axelback, MRP 2nd cat delete tube, 2j racing lightweight crank pulley, CUSCO strut bar, 1.7" suspension lift, TRS FX-R Bi-xenon, MBRO LED taillights, KSA LED DRL, KENSTYLE front grille.
    2011 Juke SV FWD not turbo CVT Force Red (sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Yup. Disconnect/bypass them in the winter.
    2014 Silver NISMO RS 2wd 240whp 260tqe
    Tint Sun Strip. Cargo Cover. DRL Switch. Zenon Headlites. Full Ultratech Racing Brace Pkg
    LED:Gator Backup Dome License SideMarker Brake. Pinstriping. Doorguards.Weathertech's
    Lighted Scuffs, Accent Lighting, Nismo Strut Caps, 80A Engine mount. Uprev Tuned. Boost gauge
    2J Pully, GTM IC pipes, Injen CAI, TS Wastegate, Injen 2ndCATdlt & 3" pipe, TS BOV, Stut Tower Brace

Anyone with catch cans in cold climate?

The very reason I sold mine without ever installing. That's 7 months of the year here, pointless for use in Canada IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Super Black Nismo RS 6MT/FWD
    Build:
    Hidden Content

Other Cars:
    2010 Magnetic Black 370Z Sport/Nav/Touring (Build: Hidden Content )
    2015 Brilliant Silver Rogue SL/AWD (Wifey)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by edconline View Post
    That's 7 months of the year here
    I have same climate
    We put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and put a nonflammable blanket on engine.
    I made a sound insulation on all sides, it was quieter and warmer.
    2012 Juke SV AWD CVT Force Red, current mods: UpRev 15psi, Forge intercooler+charge pipe kit, Synapse Synchronic DV, Injen SRI, Doug Thorley axelback, MRP 2nd cat delete tube, 2j racing lightweight crank pulley, CUSCO strut bar, 1.7" suspension lift, TRS FX-R Bi-xenon, MBRO LED taillights, KSA LED DRL, KENSTYLE front grille.
    2011 Juke SV FWD not turbo CVT Force Red (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 1806 View Post
    I have same climate
    We put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and put a nonflammable blanket on engine.
    I made a sound insulation on all sides, it was quieter and warmer.
    Thats awesome. !!!
    2014 Silver NISMO RS 2wd 240whp 260tqe
    Tint Sun Strip. Cargo Cover. DRL Switch. Zenon Headlites. Full Ultratech Racing Brace Pkg
    LED:Gator Backup Dome License SideMarker Brake. Pinstriping. Doorguards.Weathertech's
    Lighted Scuffs, Accent Lighting, Nismo Strut Caps, 80A Engine mount. Uprev Tuned. Boost gauge
    2J Pully, GTM IC pipes, Injen CAI, TS Wastegate, Injen 2ndCATdlt & 3" pipe, TS BOV, Stut Tower Brace

Ohh man now this is something that I got to watch...thanks for the heads up.
    Also Why is it that the PCV side always has more oil than that of the one where the battery is at. Every time I drain them out one is like full (PCV Side) the other has maybe a drip of oil (bat Side OCC) Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.
    2014 Nissan Juke Nismo RS 6MT: 2j Racing Pulley (RED), INJEN CAI W/ Hydro-shield, Injen 2nd Cat Delete,INJEN Cat-Back Exhaust, TurboSmart Duel Port BOV, SaikOu Michi Duel OCC
    2014 Juke Upgraded Looks:Diode Dynamics Hi/Lo HID kit (BiXneon @ 8000k), RockBlockz MudFLap, Red Turn Signals, LED Alligator Lights, Limo TINT All Around, 2j-Racing Red Pipes.
    2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4: To Beefy Hidden Content

Normal. Some members have only installed the one side due to this.
    2014 Nismo RS 6MT
    Nismo cf front lip, Nismo cool-blue mirrors, Nismo CAIw/Aux, Impul cf mirrors + inner panels, Seibon hood, Hella horns
    Homelink mirror, OEM refresh tails, DRLswitch, Rays formula lugs, 2J pulley+hoses, Injen IC kit, SM DOCCs
    Synapse DV, IRZ STB, Cusco RSB, 370Z smoke rear fog+switch, SmartStart mobile remote start
    Lightwerkz FXR Stg 1 HID projector retrofit, 3Gs Dual Pod Pillar, Aeroforce CNi102 gauges, Samco hoses
    Uninstalled: TUI catback, Cusco lower arm bar, Impul grille

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Why is it that the PCV side always has more oil than that of the one where the battery is at. Every time I drain them out one is like full (PCV Side) the other has maybe a drip of oil (bat Side OCC) Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.
    I assure you, you're not doing anything wrong. Think of it this way.

The catch can on the "PCV side" is where those heinous oily fumes that accumulate in the valve cover area are drawn into the intake manifold when vacuum is present (as apposed to boost, which is why there is a check valve in this line) and on into the cylinders to be burned.

The catch can "where the battery is at" is on the Breather side of the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system where fresh air is drawn into the crank case from the intake after the air filter and prior to the compressor side of the turbo. By it's nature and function it sees far less oily vapor during normal engine operation than the other side.

Here's a diagram from Saikou Michi Co. USA

Anyone with catch cans in cold climate?-catchcan.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone with catch cans in cold climate?-catchcan.jpg  
    Last edited by dude59; 01-11-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    '12 Juke SL AWD '91 BMW 318is

Anyone with catch cans in cold climate?-img_3212.jpg
    This is what comes out of my battery side OCC. It's more than usual since we've had more snow/moisture lately. I last emptied the can probably 2-2.5 weeks ago.
    2013 AWD Nismo Synapse DV, Injen IC pipes, 2J pulley, Defi boost and oil pressure gauges, Saikou Michi DOCC, Ortiz A pillar pod, Injen CBE and mid pipe, Hella supertone horns, hood struts, 2J black/red hose kit, Injen CAI & aux pipe, Injen STB, Stillan RSB, BC Coilovers, weathertech floor liners, 20% tint. not installed yet 19x9.5 et.35 satin black powder coated Niche milans w/ 255/35/19 Goodyear g-force comp 2, volk lugs, Turbosmart WGA.

^^^

Just drained both of mine today and I had about 1.5 times that in my intake OCC and only 1/4 that in the PCV side. However, 3-4 weeks ago when I drained them it was the other way around.

Haven't had any issues with it freezing in the catch cans yet despite having a couple days near -5F to -10F.
    2013 Nissan Juke SL - Gun Metallic - CVT - AWD
    "Günther" The Growling Gun Metal Grey Juke (Hidden Content )
    Injen - CAI, Second Cat Delete, Cat-Back Exhaust, IC Pipes w/ Custom Lower Pipe
    Turbosmart - Kompact BOV
    2J Racing - Lightweight Pulley
    Saikou Michi - Dual OCC
    Impact Racing Zone - Front Strut Bar
    Stillen - Rear Sway Bar
    Prosport - EVO Boost Gauge

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

13. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.