Torque App Vacuum Readings
NEWS

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque App Vacuum Readings

Torque App Vacuum Readings

Based on some helpful tips from Bzzeigler, I have started data logging with the Torque app in an attempt to resolve my long-standing P0101 MAF Circuit out of range error. When I look at my Boost/Vacuum levels in the data log (.csv file brought into Excel), I see the boost levels peak around 14, with most higher readings holding steady around 12 PSI. But when I look at the Vacuum levels, they seem to max out/hold steady at -12.0 PSI. When I look in the Torque app on my phone, though, the vacuum readings on the gauge seem to vacillate between -18 to -21 PSI when I am at idle. Does anyone know why there is a difference between the data log and the gauge on the phone?

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

I use torque as well, so I'll look through some of my logs and watch those two gauges tonight.
    Try going through your settings carefully and making sure everything is set up correctly. I didn't do that on my first setup and it caused a discrepancy between my logged and the real time data.
    Upgrades/Mods:
    Injen SRI
    Injen 3" Catback Exhaust
    Kiwi bluetooth OBDII adapter connected to Torque

Plans: IC Hardpipes, DV+Chargepipe upgrade, GTM Rebuilt turbo (tentative on info release), Injen Downpipe, 2nd Cat delete, Upgraded fuel system, Nav console replacement with Android tablet, Wheels/rims, HID lights, Fog lights, LED light replacement, Intercooler, Stainless steel brake lines

I monitor vacuum/boost with it displaying in.hg. and psi, a this is how gauges typically display vacuum/boost. I use the "ALT" boost calculator method. From what I've seen, the readings are pretty dang close! Boost levels at WOT should hold steady at 12psi, with it spiking to 14~15 psi on shifts.

I'd also monitor your MAF in g/s. It sits at around 20g/s at idle and it hits ~ 150g/s at WOT.

These numbers are just what I have seen on my Juke. I have the K-Powered hard IC lines and the snorkel removed from the airbox.

Sent from AutoGuide.Com Android App.
    Current Ride: 2012 Juke SL AWD in Metallic Bronze with the black and red leather seats.
    Current Mods: LED replacements front to back, K-Powered IC Hardpipes, rear muffler delete.

From the logs I took last night, as well as what i saw when at idle, Torque only reached about a -12 PSI rating.
    This is with a Injen SRI and 3" catback. It also depends on what mods you have. The stock intake with the snorkle probable developes a stronger vacuum than my SRI due to smaller pipes and longer pipes.
    Upgrades/Mods:
    Injen SRI
    Injen 3" Catback Exhaust

Plans: IC Hardpipes, DV+Chargepipe upgrade, GTM Rebuilt turbo (tentative on info release), Injen Downpipe, 2nd Cat delete, Upgraded fuel system, Nav console replacement with Android tablet, Wheels/rims, HID lights, Fog lights, LED light replacement, Intercooler, Stainless steel brake lines

With all my breathing mods installed I saw vacuum levels improve from -20 to -24(inHg)

I have a CAI, 3" catback with 2nd cat delete, all IC hardpipes, and I typically see vacuum levels at idle -24....An indication that my system is very well sealed and "pulling" vacuum more efficiently....

And typical idle vacuum levels I've seen reported here on the forum for a Juke should be anywhere between -20 to -22...if they are not close to those levels then there's probably a leak somewhere or your app isn't calibrated properly...

I think I also recall someone stating in an earlier thread that there is a calibration function in that torque app that needs to be adjusted for?? So for you guys reading boost/vacuum levels through this torque app I would investigate this further....
    Last edited by curious; 06-28-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - this is really helpful. I looked at the chart on my phone, and I see that the boost/vacuum gauge seems to be displaying vacuum levels as in/Hg, but the data log is outputting vacuum as PSI. In the settings/units menu, I do NOT have "Don't display psi as in/Hg" checked, but the data log is still showing PSI values. Maybe because boost/vacuum is a single column in the .csv file, it needs to use the same scale. That would make sense to me. Nevertheless, my vacuum level when I look at my phone in/Hg seems to be around -18 when I'm idling. As Curious has long suggested, I think this points to a vacuum leak, but at least now I can measure this to see if I can make an improvement.

Bzziegler, my MAF reads more around 5-6 at idle, and the highest I've measured is 144 (although throttle position was only at 69%). Can you tell me what your vacuum levels read in your logs?

If your car is pulling a -18 psi, its gasping for air. Air pressure at sea level is only 14.7psi, or 1 bar

I have mine set to use PSI to avoid the different values between PSI and in/hg as it does record both as the same value set
    Upgrades/Mods:
    Injen SRI
    Injen 3" Catback Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig66 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions - this is really helpful. I looked at the chart on my phone, and I see that the boost/vacuum gauge seems to be displaying vacuum levels as in/Hg, but the data log is outputting vacuum as PSI. In the settings/units menu, I do NOT have "Don't display psi as in/Hg" checked, but the data log is still showing PSI values. Maybe because boost/vacuum is a single column in the .csv file, it needs to use the same scale. That would make sense to me. Nevertheless, my vacuum level when I look at my phone in/Hg seems to be around -18 when I'm idling. As Curious has long suggested, I think this points to a vacuum leak, but at least now I can measure this to see if I can make an improvement. Bzziegler, my MAF reads more around 5-6 at idle, and the highest I've measured is 144 (although throttle position was only at 69%). Can you tell me what your vacuum levels read in your logs?
    Hey Kraig...

I'll try to find that thread that someone posted here on the forum a while back that was also using this torque app and had similar discrepancies reading vacuum levels....

Not quite sure what mods you have installed but I would also reinspect and tighten all your lines again if necessary....Like I said earlier, most of us that have very accurate boost/vacuum gauges installed with the capability of measuring intake manifold vacuum levels (nearly closed throttle) tapped close to the intake manifold see -20 to -24inHg at idle which indicate a good sealed system....Now at cruising speeds while taking my foot off the accelerator or in between MT shifts I can see IM vacuum levels as low as -26inHg (which is good to see!).....And during WOT throttle I can easily hold +16psi boost levels with minimal boost taper....

Hey good luck....

Vacuum/Boost Gauge Source tapped off Intake Manifold :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torque App Vacuum Readings-dsc00544.jpg  
    Last edited by curious; 06-28-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    Hey Kraig...

I'll try to find that thread that someone posted here on the forum a while back that was also using this torque app and had similar issues reading vacuum levels....

Not quite sure what mods you have installed but I would also reinspect and tighten all your lines again if necessary....Like I said earlier, most of us that have very accurate boost/vacuum gauges installed with the capability of measuring intake manifold vacuum levels (nearly closed throttle) see -20 to -24inHg at idle which indicate a good sealed system....Now at cruising speeds while taking my foot off the accelerator or in between MT shifts I can see as low as -26inHg at the intake manifold .....And during WOT throttle I can easily hold +16psi boost levels....

Hey good luck....
    Curious, thanks a million for your ongoing help. I feel like a flabby little baby for not being able to get this system sealed properly, but I'm going to keep at it until I get it corrected. I have the Injen CAI, KPowered IC Hard Pipes, Synapse DV and Charge pipe. The error did not start until I put the DV/Charge pipe on, but that doesn't mean everything was sealed properly prior to that. BTW, does the CAI have any impact on vacuum? I was thinking it is only the IC hard pipes, charge pipe, and maybe some of the other vacuum hoses.

Your Juke must really be jumpin' with that tight of a system. I'm eager to hear your report after you get your tune - I know you'll actually post the dynos!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig66 View Post
    Curious, thanks a million for your ongoing help. I feel like a flabby little baby for not being able to get this system sealed properly, but I'm going to keep at it until I get it corrected. I have the Injen CAI, KPowered IC Hard Pipes, Synapse DV and Charge pipe. The error did not start until I put the DV/Charge pipe on, but that doesn't mean everything was sealed properly prior to that. BTW, does the CAI have any impact on vacuum? I was thinking it is only the IC hard pipes, charge pipe, and maybe some of the other vacuum hoses.

Your Juke must really be jumpin' with that tight of a system. I'm eager to hear your report after you get your tune - I know you'll actually post the dynos!
    hey no worries....thats what the forum is for! We're all here to share info and help others...

The intake (CAI, SRI, or Stock) should not have that much of an effect on the intake manifold's vacuum levels which should be reading at its maximum vacuum levels at idle or during closed throttle conditions ...Now during partial or open throttle the less restrictive the intake is the better which will allow for the intake manifold to "pull' in more air through the turbo's intake compressor far more quickly and freely when transitioning from the manifold's vacuum state into a boost condition....The nice thing about having the vacuum / boost gauge installed between the IM and DV is that you can actually see this occuring real time...

And your correct that either a DV vacuum control line leak or leaky DV itself for instance can directly impact IM vacuum levels (which I highighted in your post above)...Check all the Synpase vacuum control line quick connects to make sure the tubes are all seated properly....Also you might want to check all your hard pipe clamps.....many folks have had issues with not properly tightening them!
    Last edited by curious; 06-28-2012 at 07:05 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.