lifter knock?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lifter knock?

lifter knock?

At 39k miles I got recall and oil change and since then 3wks and 2k miles its been making a very loud knocking sound when cold started and somewhat less audible once warm... I'm using 91 octane all the time and it would adjust anyways so that's out... Any ideas other than lifter knock? It sounds like the direct injection tick x10

update! Dealer replacing engine because of wrist pen
    Last edited by mhoover5; 04-26-2012 at 09:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mhoover5 View Post
    At 39k miles I got recall and oil change and since then 3wks and 2k miles its been making a very loud knocking sound when cold started and somewhat less audible once warm... I'm using 91 octane all the time and it would adjust anyways so that's out... Any ideas other than lifter knock? It sounds like the direct injection tick x10
    The VG33e was notorious for having noisy lifters when they were cold (I'm coming from an Xterra.) I think noisy lifters are a Nissan thing... I'd definitely check the oil level and check were you park for wet oil. If your levels are low that can cause the lifters to be even noisier.
    Current Ride: 2012 Juke SL AWD in Metallic Bronze with the black and red leather seats.
    Current Mods: LED replacements front to back, K-Powered IC Hardpipes, rear muffler delete.

The VG30DE and VG30DETT were also notorious for lifter knocking (300zx)

Some people had success using some kind of oil detergent for 50 miles and then switching to royal purple synthetic oil.

The reasoning was that the detergent was able to get under the lifters to fill them back with oil somehow.
    1990 Nissan 300zx N/A 5-speed 2+2
    -Converted from an auto to 5-speed by myself
    -Z1 one piece drive shaft, CAI, lightweight flywheel, under-drive pulley, short throw shifter

2011 Nissan Juke SL AWD
    -Current Upgrades: CAI
    -Future upgrades: Turbo-back, ECU tune, Lightweight crankshaft pulley, IC hard pipes, light-weight rims, HID kit, Pod gauges, Maybe some tint

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKidd View Post
    The VG30DE and VG30DETT were also notorious for lifter knocking (300zx)

Some people had success using some kind of oil detergent for 50 miles and then switching to royal purple synthetic oil.

The reasoning was that the detergent was able to get under the lifters to fill them back with oil somehow.
    IIRC the engine that was in my dad's Titan, the VK56DE, had noisy lifters on cold starts as well... I really think its a Nissan thing.

I won't be going the Royal Purple synth oil this time, though my Xterra has been running it for the past 50k miles with good results (and royal purple diff fluid and purple ice in the radiator)

I'll probably go with Motul Synth for the Juke.
    Current Ride: 2012 Juke SL AWD in Metallic Bronze with the black and red leather seats.
    Current Mods: LED replacements front to back, K-Powered IC Hardpipes, rear muffler delete.

lifters are for overhead valve engines, not overhead cam engines.

Did you opt for the extended warranty? You are past Nissans 36k mile

Its nothing more than a tappet issue
    Tappets and lifters are engineered to last the lifetime of the engine when the engine is properly maintained, including proper oil and filter changes. Though they are reliable, they have their drawbacks; valve clearances periodically require adjustment as the contact surfaces of both tappet and valve stem wear.

The noise comes from the tappet.

You can take it to any good mechanic to have the valvetrain adjusted. Just because this is a direct injected engine doesnt affect the valvetrain much

But before doing that you might try to lower the time between oil changes and see if that helps.

Max I've gone between changes is 3750, I didn't go for extended warranty and I checked the oil multiple times yo make sure it wasn't low... Scheduled an appt tomorrow to get it checked out... Better safe than sorry

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeGhost View Post
    lifters are for overhead valve engines, not overhead cam engines.

Did you opt for the extended warranty? You are past Nissans 36k mile

Its nothing more than a tappet issue
    Tappets and lifters are engineered to last the lifetime of the engine when the engine is properly maintained, including proper oil and filter changes. Though they are reliable, they have their drawbacks; valve clearances periodically require adjustment as the contact surfaces of both tappet and valve stem wear.

The noise comes from the tappet.

You can take it to any good mechanic to have the valvetrain adjusted. Just because this is a direct injected engine doesnt affect the valvetrain much

But before doing that you might try to lower the time between oil changes and see if that helps.
    More great info to absorb. now if only I knew what a tappet was...

Quote Originally Posted by bzzeigler View Post
    More great info to absorb. now if only I knew what a tappet was...
    They are the top of the bucket, that the cam lobe rides on to transfer the side to side motion of the lobe rotating into a downward force to open the valve. This makes contact with the very top of the valve stem
    Overtime the tappet and/or bucket will wear and no amount of adjusting the valve train will get the ticking noise to go away unless the entire bucket is replaced

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeGhost View Post
    They are the top of the bucket, that the cam lobe rides on to transfer the side to side motion of the lobe rotating into a downward force to open the valve. This makes contact with the very top of the valve stem
    Overtime the tappet and/or bucket will wear and no amount of adjusting the valve train will get the ticking noise to go away unless the entire bucket is replaced
    Well I just learned my quota of information for the dayand I hadn't even left my bed!

But one thing. Is the tappet and the bucket two serrate parts or a single part that has different names for different areas?

Sent from AutoGuide.Com Android App.

A lifter and Tappet are the same thing. Most people refer to the piece as a lifter when the cam is in the block, and refer to the piece as a tappet when it's in an overcam setup. Nissan calls the item a lifter. It's a small bucket shaped piece of metal that sits over the valve retainer. It's sold in different thicknesses as it also acts to control the valve clearances in our engines. When this item wears, or the cam/valve surface wears, there is no adjustment. The lifter must be removed and an thicker one installed to shim the clearance. In a normal engine these should easily last 100k miles if the car is properly maintained.

Item 13231 is the lifter/tappet

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.