2011 JUKE SL - Oil Question

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 JUKE SL - Oil Question

2011 JUKE SL - Oil Question

I have poured through the manual, and though it gives general descriptions of the recommend ratings for the oil, and suggest picking the right viscosity to match the use & temperature (duh), my real question is (having owned turbos before), does Nissan require synthetic oil for the JUKE, and if so, which viscosity? I have use Mobil 1 for years in a number of vehicles with great success. I wish the manual was a bit more informative on the best oil for this engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Whether you use classic oil, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic is much less important than using an oil with OEM specified viscosity. The Juke calls for 5w30, so use 5w30.

If you live in a place like Phoenix, or South Texas, etc, where the temps are regularly in the upper 90's and 100's, a switch to 10w30 during the summer months isn't a bad idea.

I am also in your same position so here is what Im gonna do. At the 1st. oil change I am switching to the 5w-30 and I will use my favorite synthethic. Hope this helped

My owners manual says 5w-30 doesnt say anything about synthetic, the service advisor says that the Juke does not come with synthetic from the factory. I finally switched over to synthetic on my 3rd oil change (around 11k miles).
    Last edited by BlackSheep5; 02-18-2011 at 10:19 PM.

I neeed to ask the dealer what oil they use. I paid for the oil package it.was one les thing I had to worry about.

I got the free oil changes too but they said it is only for their bulk oil so I pay extra every time for the syn oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.

We use Quaker State 5w-30 for all vehicles at my dealership, even our synthetic. Not a fan of it, so I bring Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Whether you use classic oil, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic is much less important than using an oil with OEM specified viscosity. The Juke calls for 5w30, so use 5w30.

If you live in a place like Phoenix, or South Texas, etc, where the temps are regularly in the upper 90's and 100's, a switch to 10w30 during the summer months isn't a bad idea.
    what is the point of doing that, how does it help ?
    Sure therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Why is this?^

The “W” in 5W-30 motor oil stands for “winter” and represents that the oil meets or exceeds certain criteria for good low-temperature performance. Oil with SAE viscosity grade 5W-30 will behave like an SAE 30 oil at high temperatures and SAE 5W oil at low temperatures, providing the necessary fluidity for rapid starts and efficient engine operation at low temperatures.

5W30 & 10W30 will be the same viscosity at higher temps.

The first number is the cold weight. Second is operating tempature weight of 212F. So a 5w-30 and 10w-30 will have the same flow and sheer characteristics at operating temperature. The W doesnt' specifically mean winter, it's just a cold temp rating. Since it's never 212F outside, changing you oil based on the hot weight is pointless. Use the manufacturer's recommended viscosity. There is more than just temperature that comes into play in engine lubrication. Picking to thick or thin of an oil can adversely effect lubrication depending no solely on temperature, but also internal engine clearances. This becomes increasingly important in modern engines that use the oil not only for lubrication but also for hydrolic engine controls. In the Juke for example, the computer adjusts both the intake and exhaust cam timing via a hydrolicly controlled adjustable gear set. Using an improper oil thickness can effect the response time of the gears.

Thicker oil can also cause a lack of lubrication just as too thin an oil can. Many oil passages are tiny, especially in overhead cam/rocker assemblies in which a very thick oil will flow poorly.

So for high temps, you'd want to adjust from a 5-30 to a 5-40. But as I said, the oil is measured at 212f. Ambient temp. doesn't effect the hot side weight as ambient temp will never reach nor exceed operating temp of the engine.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.