DIY Paddle "like" shifting - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Paddle "like" shifting

Senior Member Use the Force JUKE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    There is one maybe 2 drivers on this board that would be able to beat me.
    Not to get off topic Terra but that seems like a strange declaration to make unless you know the driving/ownership background of all Juke owners here. Even with my background of owning literally nothing BUT sports cars for all of my adult life (28 various sports cars to date including a Contour SVT cone dodger, a phenominal Alfa GTV6, 500-hp tuned Camaros, S2000's, two turbo RX7's, Celica All-Trac Turbo, race-prepped Spyders, various SE-R's, 300ZX, a few tuned Miatas and mid-engined two seaters, etc) I wouldn't make such a statement and that is even AFTER attending several high performance driving schools over the years. My guess is we've got plenty of great drivers onboard as many of us find the Juke to be a fun alternative to something that jars ones fillings loose going over rain grooves in the road (as my last two-seat, mid-engined sportscar did...especially after the coilovers).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Any update on the wiring and possible switch possibilities.?

Quote Originally Posted by deejayspinz View Post
    Got the console apart - pretty easy.. It looks like my assumptions were right. The manual mode '+' and '-' detection is based on a spring loaded slide switch with an added button to indicate that manual mode is engaged. When you engage the manual mode, it depresses the engaged switch as well as seats the shift unit into the slide switch (the white plastic part of the moving shifting bits do this). Then, when you go + or -, it the slide switch is moved to its two end states.
    9V/12V/24V DC 2CH Wireless Remote Control Momentary on Switch [0020022 (S2M-DC09/12/24 & C-2)] - US $20.89 : RF Remote Control System, Online Shop - RF Receiver|RF Transmitter|Radio ControllerDIY Paddle "like" shifting-2chantrans.jpg

2 chan, 12v, normally open momentary -
    It would make your steering wheel wiring issue go away... of course you'd want to wire the transmitter buttons to something nicer.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua904 View Post
    9V/12V/24V DC 2CH Wireless Remote Control Momentary on Switch [0020022 (S2M-DC09/12/24 & C-2)] - US $20.89 : RF Remote Control System, Online Shop - RF Receiver|RF Transmitter|Radio Controller

2 chan, 12v, normally open momentary -
    It would make your steering wheel wiring issue go away... of course you'd want to wire the transmitter buttons to something nicer.

Hope it helps.
    This is exactly what this mod needs! Thx, as I put the idea in limbo for lack of a good approach to deal with the steering wheel buttons. Could hack one of the remotes into the back of the steering wheel, split off #1 and #2 push buttons to either side of the steering wheel and done.

Edit: Just picked this one up off ebay. Now the long wait for overseas shipping....
    Last edited by deejayspinz; 06-08-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Just one concern with those, the batteries for the remote switches. If you disassemble and bury in the steering wheel, you'll have to tear apart the wheel everytime you need to switch the batteries out. Do the remotes each have their own on/off switch or do they go in a standby mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
    Just one concern with those, the batteries for the remote switches. If you disassemble and bury in the steering wheel, you'll have to tear apart the wheel everytime you need to switch the batteries out. Do the remotes each have their own on/off switch or do they go in a standby mode?
    Agreed that batteries may be a concern. However, they tend to last for a year or two. Once I get it, I plan on tearing the remote apart and seeing how small all the electronics are. There is also a lot of space around the top/bottom backside of the steering wheel (pic: see the red arrows for possible hiding locations), so it should be easy to find a home. It may also be possible to ditch the plastic shell from the remote to reduce it's size. Then, just tap 2 new push buttons or similar into the remote and wire them to the 9' and 3' positions behind the wheel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Paddle "like" shifting-untitled-1.jpg  

I figured you would retrofit some paddle shifter and remove the guts from the controller and swap it in. If the battery thing is a big issue I can look up what resistor you would need to drop from 12v to 3.3v (i think that is what the battery uses.. maybe 5v) so you could rob juice from somewhere in the steering wheel

[edit]
    Power Supply: 1 x 23A -12V battery (included, can be used for 12 months)

NM, shouldn't be hard to hardwire
    Last edited by Joshua904; 06-08-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua904 View Post
    I figured you would retrofit some paddle shifter and remove the guts from the controller and swap it in. If the battery thing is a big issue I can look up what resistor you would need to drop from 12v to 3.3v (i think that is what the battery uses.. maybe 5v) so you could rob juice from somewhere in the steering wheel

[edit]
    Power Supply: 1 x 23A -12V battery (included, can be used for 12 months)

NM, shouldn't be hard to hardwire

Just to clarify. We're not talking about the receiver as it takes 12v directly wired from the car. In contrast, the transmitter uses a 3v button cell (prob a 2032 or 2025). Again, I'm not worried about this as it would prob last a few yrs, and I'll make it so the batt is easily replaceable.

Why not just try to adapt the Maxima's paddle shifters to the Juke's steering column?
    2011 Juke SV FWD: White Pearl / CVT / ICON / NAV

Current Mods: Injen SRI / Injen Intercooler Piping / TurboSmart RBOV / Grimmspeed MBC / Stillen Cat Back / Custom mounted Podi VEI boost gauge / Cusco
    Rear Stabilizer Bar / Largus Coilovers / Stillen Strut Tower Bar / Matte Black Motegi MR125 17x7.5 / Plastidipped Grille

Next?:
    Z32 BBK

IYAOYAS!

Quote Originally Posted by deejayspinz View Post
    Just to clarify. We're not talking about the receiver as it takes 12v directly wired from the car. In contrast, the transmitter uses a 3v button cell (prob a 2032 or 2025). Again, I'm not worried about this as it would prob last a few yrs, and I'll make it so the batt is easily replaceable.
    A23 battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Code:
    An A23 battery is cylindrical, smaller than an AAA battery, measuring 28.5 mm long and 10.3 mm in diameter, with a typical weight of 8 grams. This battery must not be confused with the similar single-cell 1.5 VN battery. An A23 battery is an 8-cell device with a nominal voltage of 12 V.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.