How to install a tablet in the Juke
NEWS

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install a tablet in the Juke

How to install a tablet in the Juke

Well this is how I did it, it don't mean this is the right way to do it, if somebody can found a easier or better way to do this is welcome to post it. Also, you will notice that English is not my first language, so if you see something wrong feel free to correct me (or ask me whatever I tried to say lol)

the tools I used:

How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0295s.jpg

1- Is that plastic they use for cover cables on the wall. (sorry don't know the name on English or Spanish!!) they sell this thing on the home depot normally.
    2-The tablet of course, mine is a HTC EVO View, you can also use any tablet that fit on the Juke dash (also you can use a HTC Flyer, that is the exact same size and O.S)
    3- Is this powerful scissors that can cut metal and plastic with minimum strength (also I don't know the name of this thing)
    4- Right angle usb cable you can buy this for 3 bucks on ebay.
    5- Screw driver.
    6- Case blank slot cover.
    7- Four Philips head coarse thread screws.
    8- Right angle 3.5 audio cable.
    9- female (type B) USB CABLE.. you will ending cutting this one in half, using only the female side.
    10- Universal 12V DC to 110V AC Power Inverter. (also in ebay is for 20 bucks or maybe cheaper)
    11- Electrical black tape.
    12- Cigarette Lighter Socket

1- Removing the Stock radio:

Well it won't be removed, Is going be hidden behind the tablet.

First we have to pull the icon display out, to do that you have to use a flat screw driver and look for this point (look the picture) and make pressure, the first time you remove this will be kind of hard, but don't worry it will pop out wight away with little pressure.

Then, you will see two screw holding the bezel (ok I call it bezel, don't know what the name of the shiny plastic we have there), you have to remove those screws too in order to take the H.U (or factory stereo), this screws are show in this picture:

the you will see the stock stereo hanging in four screws and with some kind of metal on the side, (is hard to explain this for me, I don't speak to much English) but is easy to remove, even a monkey can do it, just remove the screwws and get the HU out like this picture.

As you can see in that picture, the HU doesn't have the volume and tracking round buttons, I still have them, i just remove those because they accidentally can turn off the radio when leave the radio facing down, don't worry about leaving the radio just like that (still you can found a way to attach the radio to something if you are not happy leaving the radio just like that),but the space inside the Juke is so reduced that I can swear the radio won't go any were if you just leave it there facing down.

2- Preparing the power source:

Many things are in there, but you don have to cut nothing, you just now have to find a place where to connect your cigarette lighter socket in order to charge your tablet, (also is recomended remove the factory H.U so you can work better.

I connected the cigarette lighter socket the the red cable and black (12V and ground) cable on the side soquet of the juke, as is shown in this picture:

Well the picture i took is kind off crappy, but is not to hard to do it, just, WHIT OUT CUT the cable connect the 12V positive (the red one) to the positive of the the cigarette lighter socket, and the ground to the ground, if you don't know what you are doing just go to the local radio shack and buy a voltage tester, and found which one is the + 12v and connect the red cable of the socket to that one.

3- Inserting the tablet to the bezel (or whatever they call that lovely shiny plastic)

This is the hardest part.
    So you really want a tablet in your Juke while driving????
    Well, I have some news: you have to break some plastic.

But don't worry after doing this, you can always go back to factory head unit since every plastic we gonna cut inside the car are not indispensables (is that word right?? on Spanish sounds OK, lol )

Having the bezel out you first have to remove the AC vents L and R (the are in the red circle) so for do that remove the four screws, like in the picture:

OK I have to continue in another post because the pic limits, so i will post follow to this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to install a tablet in the Juke-31dyycgt4gl._ss400_.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0272.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0273.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0274.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-capture.jpg  

How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0291.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0299.jpg  
    Last edited by TerraPirata; 12-21-2011 at 05:11 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

So now we have to cut some plastic using the scissors or whatever you can found useful, just cut on the white circles, try to get it like the picture.

Again using the scissors you have to cut the AC vents, because you need the fit the USB and AUX cable of the tablet:
    JUST CUT ON THE WHITE CIRCLES, WHAT I DID ON THE RED CROSS IS A MISTAKE.

4- Reach the power button:

I don't think this is optional (But I admit when I start doing this was wishing to make it optional), was hard for me to found a way to turn the tablet on and off, and turns out i was important because on the night the battery of the tablet will drain if you don turn it of.

so this is the way:

you need two things:

the Case blank slot cover and a little piece of plastic... (i don't know from were you can get the little piece,because i don't remember from where i got it)

so using the scissors you have to cut the slot cover into the shape of the one of the bottom, and you can bend it very easy with the scissors:

the you need this:

It's a little round piece of plastic, this will act like a turn off button, been positioned next to the power button of the tablet, inside the little curve you made before on the case slot cover...

Amazingly, this works great, because the case slot cover holds the round button and the tablet itself hods the slot cover. like in the next picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0300.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0301.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0302.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0303.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0316.jpg  

How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0310.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0312.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0308.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0296.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0298.jpg  

Last edited by TerraPirata; 12-06-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Amazingly, this works great, because the case slot cover holds the round button and the tablet itself holds the slot cover, like in the next picture:
    I also pasted a little blue plastic to center the round button.

After doing this is time to insert the tablet, (remember to load all your musics, apps and everything first)

so you will need now the right angle micro usb cable and the right angle 3.5 audio cable, and it will look like this:

SO PAY ATTENTION TO THAT PICTURE!!!, now we not only have the tablet in position, we also have the good luck of having the round button and the slot cover been hold by the 3.5mm audio cable, after having the tablet in this position everything becomes pretty solid and tight since the table can barely fit in that space.

The next step will be a little easier,since you have the tablet already in the desired position you can connect the right angle usb cable and then the last AC vent.

5- Holding the tablet

So after doing this you put the last AC vent and finally you have to put the last thing to keep the tablet in a firm position, everything has to be very strong, since you don want to take the car to a car wash and some guy trying to clean the fingerprints of your tablet will loose everything.

The way I could find was using the white plastic I have on the first picture, using the scissors you can cut it and bend the plastic the way you need and then you have to use the Philips thread screws to hold the white plastic against the AC vents.... (I don't even know if I explained right, so look at the picture to understand what I'm trying to say)

SO FINALLY EVERITHING HAS TO LOOK LIKE THIS:

And the power button has to look like this:

And the power button has to work like this:

6- Getting the tablet power supply ready to work

I wish We can connect the tablet to any regular 1 amp (or 2amp if you want) 5v USB adapter, I tried before doing this, and didn't work, you have to use the wall charger (or invent something) to get the tablet to charge fast while using wifi, gps and everything while you are driving.

The wall charger is 1.67 Amps @ 9V that means 15W of charge.. is faster than 1amp @ 5V= 5W....

So we have to cut two cables, the wall charger cable of the tablet and a female USB cable.

The wall charger cable is divided in two cable inside, a red one (with positive 9v) and a white one with ground.

The female USB cable has four cables inside 5V, DATA +, DATA -, GROUND, we only gonna use two of them the 5v (witch will be connected to the 9v of the wall charger) and the ground, the other two data cables doesn't matter since the wall charger doesn't have any data cables to connect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0325.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0326.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0297.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0317.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0318.jpg  

How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0319.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0323.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0320.jpg   How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0321.jpg  
    Last edited by TerraPirata; 12-06-2011 at 06:14 AM.

This is how a USB cable looks like:

How to install a tablet in the Juke-capture.jpg

Just connect positive 9v from wall charger to positive 5v to female USB and the ground to ground, that's it. i you have to finish with this:

How to install a tablet in the Juke-mail.google.com.jpg

7- Installing the tablet

Finals steps, we have to eve cut more plastic now, but this time inside the car, I cant show that because I already cut mine, don't worry, this plastics don't have any important use for the car: they where in this place, check the yellow circles:

How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0282.jpgHow to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0281.jpg

After cutting this you have to connect the power inverter to the socket and the the wall charger to the power inverter, all this stuff togeter will fit perfectly on the rigth side of the stock radio.

How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0280.jpg

An then you have to connect the audio cable to the AUX imput of the stock stereo,, so you have to fish the audio cable with your two hand at the same time, doing this you should have something like this:

How to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0284.jpgHow to install a tablet in the Juke-imag0290.jpg

Carefully you put everything back to its place,and then you have a tablet running in your ride with all the benefits of android and google maps.

This is the way I did it, I hope somebody can found some way easier, and post it here with pictures and stuff.

Even with the language barrier I did my best explaining every detail, but if somebody didn't understand something fell free to ask me (or ask somebody who did understand what I wrote here LOL)

Terra.
    Last edited by TerraPirata; 12-06-2011 at 06:47 AM.

You should work with a fabricator to make a din for this.

Thanks for posting this. I get it now - your only connection to the Juke is the Aux input. Since the factory unit is behind the tablet, I assume you just leave it 'on' and with 'aux' selected? Then use the steering controls for volume, or of you want to change the source to radio etc?

Man, that's actually a lot more work than I thought! Nice job on the DIY instructions.

Hey man. Just a quick question. Why are you worried about the tablet charging fast? Cant you just keep it plugged into the USB? That way it can take music from it, and get power to it? True, it's not as much power, but won't it at least trickle charge it a little, and constantly be enough power to keep the unit on?

I could be very wrong, as you CLEARLY have a better knowledge of electronics than I do... but it seems like USB woulda been ok.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDopeGodfather View Post
    Hey man. Just a quick question. Why are you worried about the tablet charging fast? Cant you just keep it plugged into the USB? That way it can take music from it, and get power to it? True, it's not as much power, but won't it at least trickle charge it a little, and constantly be enough power to keep the unit on?

I could be very wrong, as you CLEARLY have a better knowledge of electronics than I do... but it seems like USB woulda been ok.
    The first thing I tryed was this:

How to install a tablet in the Juke-cartousbv2_l.jpg

and didn't work, there was not enough power to charge the tablet (even been 2 AMPS!) remember that I have the WIFI, GPS, music and screen on, so the battery drain faster than what we can think.

So, had to go the way I explained on my tutorial

Just curious (and this question is coming from an ignorant perspective since I dont have an EVO View and have never used one) but do you have issues with heat dissipation? Does it ever get too hot behind the tablet, I mean you have the HU behind it still plugged in and running, the tablet itself running, the power adapters. I noticed you dont have any type of fan or haven't altered the AC duct to blow air behind it. Plus, as someone that lives in a place that gets cold in the winter, there would also be the added heat in that area from having the heater on. Just wondering if you have any insight or thoughts on that aspect.

By the way, AMAZING job. I'm literally stunned.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.