Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

vibration/rattle in vent

11K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Swiftab 
#1 ·
I've got a Juke that's 4 months old.

I've got a rattling noise coming out of the right-side front of my Juke that happens on acceleration (engine vibration) and very occasionally from the right bass frequencies in music. I've finally traced it to the little vent cover shaped like a Star Trek logo on the top of the dash (see where arrow in picture is pointing). It drove me crazy prior to that, but I'm certain this is the culprit: I can reach over and silence the vibration by putting a pinky finger on that vent with very little pressure.

We mentioned the rattle the last time it was in for service, which was before I knew exactly what the source was, but the dealership claimed they couldn't reproduce it. I can somewhat understand that as the noise is also temperature-sensitive. It rarely happens when the car is fully warmed up or when the temps are above 50F.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing? How easy might it be to remove that piece and pad it with something like electrical tape to stop the possibility of vibration? Or should I just take it back to the dealer now that I know for sure what part is the source of the noise?

Car Vehicle Nissan juke Nissan Center console

Thanks,
Jeff

See less See more
#10 ·
I can't help but wonder since it seems to be related to temperature, could it be the AC/Heater or the defroster? I know I can hear the fan motor on mine and it does sound like a little rattle. Have you tried it with all climate controls off?

#11 ·
I have two rattles in mine that I have identified around the defrost vents and on the passenger side. The defrost vent rattle is caused by the outside cowling where the hood meets the windshield and is especially noticeable when cold outside. There was a service campaign where the dealership would remove the cowling and put a piece of foam under it to dampen the rattle. The passenger side rattle for me was a few leafs stuck in the squirrel cage blower motor for the climate control. It sounds like it comes from all vents and changes with blower speed, but mostly in the passenger foot well cause that's where the motor is. Not saying this is your problem, but that's the only two rattles I've noticed in the same areas you described.

#12 ·
To be honest, I think it's to be expected to have a couple rattle here and there especially considering how our dash is completely plastic. There's nothing to dampen the plastic-on-plastic sound. On luxury cars, the dash is wrapped in a fake soft leather material that dampens any potential rattle. This is a case of we get what we pay for.

If the rattle only occurs once in a while, I'd recommend just ignore it. If it happens a lot, try shimming the gap with something like a piece of paper. That should change the resonance frequency so your music will stop vibrating the dash and making the rattle.

A good fix is to take the rattling part off and stick some thin felt (the material on top of pool tables) on the major contact areas. That way any vibration won't make any sound.

#14 · (Edited)
There are several threads on this forum about squeaks, creaks, rubbing, rattles seemingly coming from various parts on the dash. May be worth checking out by searching for squeak/rattle. In most those cases dealers or the owners were able to put in an easy fix. I heard there is even a Nissan service bulletin on some type of noise.

Some times these noises could be early indicators of more serious issues. Some may be coming from the engine bay. Nissan cares about noises etc, so they dedicate a separate chapter in some of their service manuals to troubleshooting Noises, Vibrations and Harshness. My 2013 Juke doesn't have these noises (yet?). If it did, I would rather have them checked now rather than waiting until the warranty runs out.

#17 · (Edited)
The instrument panel would shrink as much as a millimeter in cold weather. If we make the joints and attachments too tight they squeak and too loose they rattle. Throw in the heat cycle an I/P would see, (-40 degrees to +140 degrees), and you can see all the joints loosen up.

if you do get a squeak or rattle, the fix is the same; felt tape. That is what the OEM's would use. I am sure you can find it on EBay or Amazon.

everyone's car sees a different heat/cool cycle so the noise will come from slightly different places.

check "auto felt tape" on eBay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.