Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

The first chips are always painful

15K views 48 replies 35 participants last post by  berth 
#1 ·
Not even 3k miles and I have 2 road wounds on my hood! Took the afternoon and washed the car and nearly dropped to my knees.

Oh well.

By the way, those Sham Wow things are terrible! My blue shop towels did better at soaking up water. Save your money and stick with the towels, Sham Wow is garbage.

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
#14 ·
As soon as I could I took mine into the shop and got a 3M film applied to the whole front end. It is suppose to prevent 98% of all rock chips. It was almost $900 CDN but for me its worth it.

The 3M film doesn't yellow and you can't even tell its on there, you can have it applied to your head fog and alligators lights as well.

#15 ·
As soon as I could I took mine into the shop and got a 3M film applied to the whole front end. It is suppose to prevent 98% of all rock chips. It was almost $900 CDN but for me its worth it.

The 3M film doesn't yellow and you can't even tell its on there, you can have it applied to your head fog and alligators lights as well.
I hate to disagree but in hot climates the 3m stuff does turn yellow and crack. I ran into a guy last week that had it on the front of his motor home and was in the process of trying to peel it off. I didn't ask him however how long it had been on there, could have been several years. They could have improved the product since he had his done.

#20 ·
I worked with an auto broker for around 3 months sourcing cars, and had to use a paint meter on a daily basis to measure paint thickness in order to determine if any of the panels on a car had been painted/repaired. Nissans had by the thinnest paint of any of the cars I measured, it was nuts. Mercedes usually had the thickest, which was 4-6 times thicker than the Nissans. I am afraid easy paint chipping is just part of owning a Nissan :-(

#25 · (Edited)
So a Mercedes won't chip as easy as a Nissan? Who knew? :D

Seriously though, don't tease us. If you're going to drop a bombshell like that you have to rate them thickest to thinnest for us! A buddy of mine's Lancer has been really bad about it.

How does Honda's thickness compare? Better I bet, but that didn't stop our clearcoat from coming off, starting at about year 8. Chipped off, peeled off, it's all the same to me.

#29 ·
Some colors take more coats to create too. We have a product that is offered in a "black cherry" color that takes a base color and two different colors of tinted clear coat then a final clear coat to create. It's the most expensive color we offer because it takes twice the time & materials to paint.

Paint protection film is worth every penny.
Agreed.

#23 ·
Stick a bandaid over it...voila, it's gone! Adds character to your car too! lol

#33 ·
After 6 months of ownership I have about two dozen paint chips all over my hood, some above the windshield and on the roof, some on the rear wheel bump out, a nice vertical paint chip from a car door..... I had an xterra for 7 yrs and maybe 4 on the whole truck.
Any Idea if Nissan would fix this or am I SOL.
Not looking forward to trading it in, instead of a red juke its going to be red with gray polka dots....

Cheers
Semper Fi

#35 ·
I am anxiously awaiting the repeatedly delayed arrival of my Juke. I was expecting the gun metalic but the dealer was unable to do a color trade on their expected shipment and made me a deal on a black one. I've been reading up on how easily the paint chips and have been giving some thought to getting the paint treatment with a warranty the dealer has been pushing. Let's face it black shows every imperfection. Anyone have experience with the coating/warranty? Recommend or waste of money?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.