Tweaking your lights! (LEDs, Replacement Headlights, etc)

1. Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums – General discussion forum for Nissan Juke

Welcome to Nissan Juke : Juke Forums - a website dedicated to all things Nissan Juke.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Nissan Juke : Juke Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweaking your lights! (LEDs, Replacement Headlights, etc)

Tweaking your lights! (LEDs, Replacement Headlights, etc)

*** Edit 4/3/12 ***
    SuperBrightLEDs now has a bulbfinder for the Juke:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehic...an/juke/43/656

*** End Edit! ***

------------------------------------------------------
    One of the first things I do with a new car is tweak the lighting a bit. This has a dramatic affect on the "feel" of the car and adds a level of uniqueness. I find that a lot of cars come with very ugly yellowish halogen bulbs that look low tech and old fashioned. So I have begun replacing all the lights with LEDs for aesthetics and practicality. I buy all my LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com -- as I can not link directly to the product, i will link to the page containing the product and list the product #.

NissanJukebox helped me out with figuring out how to do the alligator eyes and license plate lights. He is awesome.

Interior Map/Dome Lights:

*my apologies for these pics, the actual effect is MUCH brighter. My cell phone cam was set to low-exposure for some reason.
    9mm #194/168 Wedge Base Bulbs
    Center: 5x Cool White High-Power (WLED-xHP5)
    Sides: 6x Blue Regular-Power (WLED-x6)
    As you can see this produces a very blue-white "club" feel in the car. Obviously, any color can be picked. This one is simple -- Remove the 'lens' by pulling straight down, revealing the three sockets and white plastic base. If you have big hands it may be easier for you to remove the entire base out of the roof of the car -- this is done using the tab on the passenger side, but most of you will be able to remove the stock bulbs in place. Do this by grasping the bulb and simply pulling downward (do not twist!). When installing the LEDs, remember that they have to be installed a specific way, so if they don't turn on at first, pull them out, flip them, then re-insert. After replacing all three replace the lens and you are good to go! Note: don't try to buy the bulbs on that page that are larger, as they will not fit. WLED-xHP5s are as large as you should go. They are incredibly bright anyway.

Cargo Light

30mm Festoon-Type Bulb
    4x Cool White High-Power (3022-xHP4)
    Directions on how to replace this bulb are on Page 8-27 of your Manual. Basically you remove the lens and casing, unplug, remove the casing from the lens, and replace the bulb. The stock one was incredibly dim, this will really help with illuminating your back area. This required a little bit of bending of the socket to fit, nothing damaging, just making the contacts a little wider to fit 31mm (i think the stock one is 29mm). Do not buy anything larger as it will definitely not fit. In theory, if you wanted to tinker more, the Universal PCB LED Lamp Kit on the bottom of that page which uses 12(!) LEDs could be used, but I didn't bother with it.

Alligator Eyes

15x Cool White High-Power (WLED-xHP15-T)
    NissanJuke helped me out with these. Open your hood and locate the back of the existing bulbs. It should appear to be a wire connected to a plastic base. If you turn this base towards the engine 1/4 of a turn and pull out, you'll remove the socket with stock bulb. Anything big enough to fit in the opening into the housing with a 9mm #194/168 base will fit here (if they ever made a longer bulb with more LEDs it would work, but not wider) Insert the new bulb and carefully reverse the process. Like before, if they don't work, you'll have to flip them the other way to properly align the contacts. (I flipped the lights on real quick to test before re-inserting them). The image above blows out the blue a bit. The actual color is close to a "Arctic Blue". A 7000k color temp, for those of you familiar with that.

A good chart about color temps can be found here. Super Bright LED's colors tend to be around 7000k for Cool White, 5500k for Natural White, and 4000k for Warm White. You could use an amber LED here too. The color of amber in LED is different (think more vivid and orange). If you are in the US, don't use anything besides the whites or amber as it is not legal.

License Plate Lights
    Picture
    Coming
    Soon

5x Cool White Regular-Power Wide Angle (WLED-x5)
    The housing for the lens slides to the left, allowing you to pop out the right side, then the left. The lights are removed much like the Alligator Eyes, a twist and pull directly out, revealing the socket and bulb. Replace the bulb and reverse the process. I don't recommended using the high power LEDs back here, they are too bright!

Coming soon: Headlights, reverse lights, door sills, and LED strips (DIY "accent" lighting - cheaper and better results than Nissan's option!)
    Last edited by proteus; 04-03-2012 at 04:34 AM.
    2011 Chrome Silver Juke SV AWD

2. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

are you going to try the rear (brake) lights ?
    2015 Nismo RS AWD - Brilliant Silver

Thanks for the detailed post. This is exactly what forums like this are made for.

Personally, I like the amber lighting out there at night, so I'll go that route with my replacements. Otherwise, I think your work looks great; can't wait to see the rest of what you will do.
    2011 Juke SV - AWD CVT Chrome Silver w/Nav package & fog lights

Quote Originally Posted by Muranowner View Post
    are you going to try the rear (brake) lights ?
    Not sure what the benefit would be there other than just a slight increase in brightness. Might be beneficial if I do a dark tail smoke, but thats up in the air.

Thanks for the compliments! I always love finding threads like this with lots of info and pics, so hopefully people will find this helpful.

Looks great! what type of headlight bulbs are in there?
    2015 Nismo RS AWD - Brilliant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Muranowner View Post
    Looks great! what type of headlight bulbs are in there?
    Stock so far. I am having issues accessing the passenger side one. I'm going to have a dealer install them.

Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    5x Cool White Regular-Power Wide Angle (WLED-x5)
    Do we need 5 of these or is this the model number?

Am trying to sort out a shopping list!!

5x refers to the number of actual diodes on the bulb. So that's the model number, WLEDx5

For the headlights and foglights I had to use conversion kits, do these leds need that or is it completely plug and play?
    -'11 Sapphire Black SL CVT/AWD

Recent Mods - Added LED underglow and interior accent w/ blue LED kit. Injen CAI and Stillen catback exhaust.

I'm hoping the eyes don't need kits, not to say I'd forget doing it, I just want it to be a cheap upgrade. I'll update here when my lights arrive and I can see what else I'm going to need to pull this off.

~Rabbit
    Last edited by Rabbit; 12-15-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Adding stuffz

12. Remove Advertisements
    Juke Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.