Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Tweaking your lights! (LEDs, Replacement Headlights, etc)

357K views 625 replies 149 participants last post by  Ausjuk33 
#1 · (Edited)
*** Edit 4/3/12 ***
SuperBrightLEDs now has a bulbfinder for the Juke:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/2011/nissan/juke/43/656

*** End Edit! ***

------------------------------------------------------
One of the first things I do with a new car is tweak the lighting a bit. This has a dramatic affect on the "feel" of the car and adds a level of uniqueness. I find that a lot of cars come with very ugly yellowish halogen bulbs that look low tech and old fashioned. So I have begun replacing all the lights with LEDs for aesthetics and practicality. I buy all my LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com -- as I can not link directly to the product, i will link to the page containing the product and list the product #.

NissanJukebox helped me out with figuring out how to do the alligator eyes and license plate lights. He is awesome.

Interior Map/Dome Lights:

*my apologies for these pics, the actual effect is MUCH brighter. My cell phone cam was set to low-exposure for some reason.
9mm #194/168 Wedge Base Bulbs
Center: 5x Cool White High-Power (WLED-xHP5)
Sides: 6x Blue Regular-Power (WLED-x6)
As you can see this produces a very blue-white "club" feel in the car. Obviously, any color can be picked. This one is simple -- Remove the 'lens' by pulling straight down, revealing the three sockets and white plastic base. If you have big hands it may be easier for you to remove the entire base out of the roof of the car -- this is done using the tab on the passenger side, but most of you will be able to remove the stock bulbs in place. Do this by grasping the bulb and simply pulling downward (do not twist!). When installing the LEDs, remember that they have to be installed a specific way, so if they don't turn on at first, pull them out, flip them, then re-insert. After replacing all three replace the lens and you are good to go! Note: don't try to buy the bulbs on that page that are larger, as they will not fit. WLED-xHP5s are as large as you should go. They are incredibly bright anyway.

Cargo Light

30mm Festoon-Type Bulb
4x Cool White High-Power (3022-xHP4)
Directions on how to replace this bulb are on Page 8-27 of your Manual. Basically you remove the lens and casing, unplug, remove the casing from the lens, and replace the bulb. The stock one was incredibly dim, this will really help with illuminating your back area. This required a little bit of bending of the socket to fit, nothing damaging, just making the contacts a little wider to fit 31mm (i think the stock one is 29mm). Do not buy anything larger as it will definitely not fit. In theory, if you wanted to tinker more, the Universal PCB LED Lamp Kit on the bottom of that page which uses 12(!) LEDs could be used, but I didn't bother with it.

Alligator Eyes

15x Cool White High-Power (WLED-xHP15-T)
NissanJuke helped me out with these. Open your hood and locate the back of the existing bulbs. It should appear to be a wire connected to a plastic base. If you turn this base towards the engine 1/4 of a turn and pull out, you'll remove the socket with stock bulb. Anything big enough to fit in the opening into the housing with a 9mm #194/168 base will fit here (if they ever made a longer bulb with more LEDs it would work, but not wider) Insert the new bulb and carefully reverse the process. Like before, if they don't work, you'll have to flip them the other way to properly align the contacts. (I flipped the lights on real quick to test before re-inserting them). The image above blows out the blue a bit. The actual color is close to a "Arctic Blue". A 7000k color temp, for those of you familiar with that.

A good chart about color temps can be found here. Super Bright LED's colors tend to be around 7000k for Cool White, 5500k for Natural White, and 4000k for Warm White. You could use an amber LED here too. The color of amber in LED is different (think more vivid and orange). If you are in the US, don't use anything besides the whites or amber as it is not legal.

License Plate Lights
Picture
Coming
Soon

5x Cool White Regular-Power Wide Angle (WLED-x5)
The housing for the lens slides to the left, allowing you to pop out the right side, then the left. The lights are removed much like the Alligator Eyes, a twist and pull directly out, revealing the socket and bulb. Replace the bulb and reverse the process. I don't recommended using the high power LEDs back here, they are too bright!

Coming soon: Headlights, reverse lights, door sills, and LED strips (DIY "accent" lighting - cheaper and better results than Nissan's option!)

See less See more
#4 ·
Not sure what the benefit would be there other than just a slight increase in brightness. Might be beneficial if I do a dark tail smoke, but thats up in the air.

Thanks for the compliments! I always love finding threads like this with lots of info and pics, so hopefully people will find this helpful.

#3 ·
Thanks for the detailed post. This is exactly what forums like this are made for.

Personally, I like the amber lighting out there at night, so I'll go that route with my replacements. Otherwise, I think your work looks great; can't wait to see the rest of what you will do.

#9 ·
For the headlights and foglights I had to use conversion kits, do these leds need that or is it completely plug and play?

#11 ·
Plug in play

I just tinkered with the the lights today. I didn't order the new ones but I wanted to see what I'm dealing with and how hard installing them will be.

Cabin lights and alligator lights are plug and play. The description onthe first post was dead on. No kits.

I will order my lights tonight.

Love this post.

#12 ·
can any one second this?

I was going to order the lights but now i am hesitent because of the wats or voltage that it will throw the battery off wake. or burn something.

Any comments on that because we are dealing with small lights? maybe its not that much of a big deal?

I went to all teh bulbs and they are very easy to disassemble and replace. Even the cargo is just a small bending process.

all lights are plug in

#14 ·
Nice, Appreciate it awesly! I just ordered the lights, now all three of my lights will be bright white/blue! Is it legal to put the Amber Lights in the turn signals LED type?

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
All Plug and Play. Did it in under my lunch hour. Looks nothing short of awesome. Anyone have any recommendations on what headlights I should use to replace the stock?

Pics Follow:

Sammy there is enjoying his post and wearing his stylish leather headband complete with brass etched jolly roger. Pirate Sqwerl ARRR!

Had one of the trunk but it didn't do it justice. It IS quite a bit brighter back there now.

~Rabbit
What lights did you replace? Tough to tell with the pretty blue lights under your carport. All the interior? Any exterior?

#20 ·
What you quoted was Lights for the cabin. X6 and xp5. I'm on my phone but look at original post the alligator eyes are lights with the letter T in them something like t4 they cost 16$ I was hesitant to order them because all the others are like 3-6$. But I said what the heck I love my juke.

Hope this helS

#28 ·
Which LEDs did u use for the side signals ? U posted an amber eBay link but your pics show them in bright white I'm confused.

the ones I posted are the ones who gives you no orange looking side repeater. It goes orange when it lights on.

They light it self looks orange, but that is only the holder for the led smd (wich will disappear in the plug it self, so it is invisable and only the smd are visable wich are white and when in use the turn orange

#29 ·
Well I am done. And wow who ever doesnt do this should not own a juke :)

Results are in:

1. All plug in play.
2. Couldnt get the License Plate Lights to work. Plus original post only said 1 light so.... Duh I guess i should of looked :). If anyone wants to know you need TWO...

I have some comments:
1. Dont be worried about the post asking you to bend the cargo lights its so easy. Really two metal pieces that bend anyway. And the light before was horrible its makes it better. BTW unplug the housing thats the only way to do it. Good luck trying to do it while its plugged in.

2. About teh cabin lights. You can take out the whole plastic housing (Grey intirior one). And use scissors or screw driver to pop the lights out. I have small hands but still couldnt manage to get them out.

3. Yes I have had like 80% sucess rate with plugging them in on the first try but sometimes u do need to flip them in order to make them work.

4. No I didnt disconnect the negitive cable from battery how else would I check if teh lights work.

5. I might swith the cabin lights love the blue but the center cool White Id go with a different color. But i will keep it for now.

Pictures:!!!! WOW

Attachments

#33 ·
Results are in:

1. All plug in play.
2. Couldnt get the License Plate Lights to work. Plus original post only said 1 light so.... Duh I guess i should of looked :). If anyone wants to know you need TWO...

I have some comments:
1. Dont be worried about the post asking you to bend the cargo lights its so easy. Really two metal pieces that bend anyway. And the light before was horrible its makes it better. BTW unplug the housing thats the only way to do it. Good luck trying to do it while its plugged in.

2. About teh cabin lights. You can take out the whole plastic housing (Grey intirior one). And use scissors or screw driver to pop the lights out. I have small hands but still couldnt manage to get them out.

3. Yes I have had like 80% sucess rate with plugging them in on the first try but sometimes u do need to flip them in order to make them work.

4. No I didnt disconnect the negitive cable from battery how else would I check if teh lights work.

5. I might swith the cabin lights love the blue but the center cool White Id go with a different color. But i will keep it for now.

Pictures:!!!! WOW
What color of bulbs did you get for the alligator eyes? Are they the arctic white or wam white?

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
So, just to be certain: For the side-repeaters, there's no issue with swapping them out for LED bulbs? On my Yamaha T-Max, I had to get a special relay for the turn signals to slow down the flash rate (higher resistance to counteract the lower current draw of LED's and make them flash at the proper speed) when I swapped out my forward and rear turn signals for LED assemblies. The flash speed of the size repeaters is the same as for the front ones?

Do the drive lights that you swapped out (upper-most lights on the alligator lamp assembly) stay on all the time while driving, or only when headlamps are on? I guess this is for USA-models, since I know that Canadian models have DRL's.

Thanks.

Totally going to do this to my Juke. I get to pick it up tomorrow (fingers-crossed).
Dont know anything about turn signals.

The alligator eyes are only on when your headlamps are on. I love the car alot more now with this fixture.

#39 ·
Updates for Headlights/Reverse?

Coming soon: Headlights, reverse lights, door sills, and LED strips (DIY "accent" lighting - cheaper and better results than Nissan's option!)
First off.. I love this forum!

Any luck with the other installs/photos Proteus? Im excited to hear about the headlights and reverse lights.

Another question.. I would imagine that since all of you are changing out your lights.. that this is 100% legal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.